See photos (2)

Porte de la ruelle Charles Quint

Historic site and monument ,  History in Givet

  • In the 17th century (1621), Ursuline nuns, who were responsible for the education of young girls, lived in their house.
    This house was located on the banks of the Meuse, inside the ramparts, probably next to what was to become the old clinic.

    Does the door that remains today come from this house or was it rebuilt later when another group of nuns settled in the same place?
    Pierre Hubert alludes to this when speaking of religious establishments (150 ans de vie givetoise 1789-1940): "Quai des...
    In the 17th century (1621), Ursuline nuns, who were responsible for the education of young girls, lived in their house.
    This house was located on the banks of the Meuse, inside the ramparts, probably next to what was to become the old clinic.

    Does the door that remains today come from this house or was it rebuilt later when another group of nuns settled in the same place?
    Pierre Hubert alludes to this when speaking of religious establishments (150 ans de vie givetoise 1789-1940): "Quai des Fours, a large building received blind children who were also looked after by nuns".

    On old postcards, we can see from left to right a large building, probably from the 19th century, which was to give way much later to the Givet clinic, then we can clearly see the door, this one preceding the large building with an entrance porch in the center (building probably also from the 19th century, of the same construction as the previous one).
    The building of the nuns was probably this one. Until recently, it housed the European Center for Arts and Crafts and today, the Givet Tourist Office.

    The door we are interested in is older, perhaps from the time of the Ursulines?
    The question remains!
  • Spoken languages